Thursday, May 16, 2013

Memorial Day: Free Resources and Activities


Memorial Day has special meaning for me as I am the wife of a retired soldier. During my husband's 30 year career he lost several soldiers to the war called "Desert Storm". There have been so many who have sacrificed so much to defend our country and so many who continue to do so. I thought about writing a unit about Memorial Day and what I would like children to know. I thought it would be important for them to know the history behind this holiday and the traditions. I have also put together some great resources for you to access to supplement your lessons in your classrooms.

At Education World I found some wonderful lessons including making a memory book and this Peace Windsock which you can download by clicking on the picture below. There are lots of lesson ideas and links to other websites where you can access more free materials.
You can find a great list of Memorial Day Books at Amazon by clicking on the book below.
I was very impressed with the resources I found at the Holiday Zone which you can check out by clicking on the picture below. You will find lessons, poems, arts and craft projects, classroom activities and so much more.
There are also lots of free activities which you can access by clicking on the picture below. Here you will find lots of facts and activities for all grade levels.
Most of these resources are for Grades 2 and up but there are some cute craft ideas for younger children at DLTK.

You may also like my Memorial Day Unit for Grade 2-3. I just revised and updated! It includes a Poppy Flower Bio Craftivity as you can see from the example below. Great for making a Wall of Honor Bulletin Board!
You can check it out by clicking on the picture below and also get a free activity.

I put together a free writing activity packet for my wonderful followers and viewers. It is a Compare and Contrast Writing Activity. 
You can download by clicking on the picture below. You will find a Compare and Contrast Activity. I hope you enjoy using it with your students.
I also have this free Memorial Day Noun Sort which you download by clicking on the image below.
Students will sort Proper Nouns, Common Nouns, and Plural Nouns related to Memorial Day.
Just click on the image below to download your free Memorial Day Noun Sort.
Would love to have you follow me on Pinterest. Just click HERE to check out all my Education Boards.

Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students. Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day weekend.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Freebie Fridays

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday



3 comments:

  1. THANKS! As a US NAVY Mom...my firsties appreciate the military life. We talk about it ALL the time! My kiddos did "When I grow up... stories." Quite a few want to be in the military to "protect" ALL of us! Thanks for the freebie! wendy 1stgradefireworks@gmail.com 1stgradefireworks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we don't celebrate Memorial Day in Canada, we do have loved ones in the military too! Thank you for your wonderful work, and thanks to your husband for all he has done in his career as well. You have both given a great deal to your country! Have a wonderful week!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you for linking up at Teaching Blog Addict's Freebie Friday, you always offer our follwers such terrific freebies!
    Have a great weekend,
    Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete