Saturday, April 20, 2013

On the Farm: Free Resources and Free Activities


Whether you teach in the city or the county young children love to read and learn about the farm, especially all the animals that live there. When I taught in Alaska many children were unfamiliar with farm life and farm animals. Teaching about the farm is also a wonderful way to bring the farm to life for many children living in poverty. It can also be taught at any time during the year. I have put together some wonderful free resources from the internet where you can access free lessons, poems, songs, and crafts.

Let's begin with wonderful read aloud books. No time for Flash Cards  not only had great books for also some wonderful crafts for your students to make. Just click on the pictures below to find out more.
Next stop is Alphabet Soup. I found links to free puzzles, booklets, spelling activities, poems and lots more. Interested? Click on the picture below.
At All Kids Network I found free crafts  like this Peek-a Boo barn below and free worksheets,too. You can also access their free farm worksheets by clicking HERE
Finally I found some great free farm poems at Kinder Korner which you can check out by clicking the picture below.
I had lots of fun creating my own Farm Unit which you can check out by clicking on the picture below. It has my own original Shared Reading book, 3 Guided Reading books at the Early Emergent and Emergent (1st Grade) reading levels, Word Wall, Picture/Word cards for Matching and other activities, and a Farm Picture/Word Sort. It also includes several writing activities such as a Farm Word Web, "My Farm Book" an Informational Text Writing Prompt and 2 Opinion Piece Writing Prompts. Students can also earn the "I'm crowing about your writing or reading" Award.There are 2 free activities when you download the Preview file.
And last but not least a free activity for all my followers and viewers. I had such great feedback on my other Roll the Die and Read thematic freebies that I made one for "On the Farm" There are 3 pages, one for each reading level. All the words, phrases and sentences are from all the guided reading books in my "On the Farm" K-1 Unit. Just click on the picture below to download your free packet.
Don't for get to check out all my new Pinterest Boards. Check them out by clicking HERE
Here's my most popular one.


Freebie Fridays
Thanks for all you do to make a difference for your students. Hope you find some great activities and maybe some of you will be able to take a field trip to a farm!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin


What month do you think is the best to teach a unit about the farm?

4 comments:

  1. For Kansas, Fall is good since this is prime pumpkin and apple picking season! (Thanks for the freebies!)
    ~Jane
    rsmiramo@smsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun freebie! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT collection of freebies! Thanks so much for compiling them! Found you on Manic Monday and we'll be back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely farm freebie, thank you. I teach on a remote island and we are lacking 'farm' knowledge here. I might have to do some farm activities with my kids. Fun!

    ReplyDelete